Functions & Roles
The High Commission of the Republic Maldives in Sri Lanka is the official channel established to communicate between the two Governments and work towards consolidating and strengthening the existing long-standing bilateral relations between the two countries. Our functions and roles include;
- To establish and foster the long standing brotherly relationships that had existed for generations between the Maldivian Government and the Sri Lankan Government.
- To establish and cultivate close relations with other key Sri Lankan organizations, to work towards achieving sustainable benefits to the Maldives, socially and economically.
- To provide Consular Services for Maldivians residing in Sri Lanka. Consular Services by the Embassy include;
- Provide assistance in renewing and processing of passports,
- Issuing temporary travel documents,
- Issuing documents to facilitate resident visa and visit visa extension
- Assisting Maldivian nationals and Government officials in obtaining visas to other foreign countries that have diplomatic missions in Sri Lanka
- Provide assistance in processing and renewing national identity card,
- Provide assistance in attestation, births, deaths and marriage registration to Maldivians.
- There are 29 Foreign Diplomatic Missions accredited to the Maldives in Sri Lanka. The Embassy also acts as an intermediary and a catalyst to promote the bilateral cooperation between their respective countries and the Maldives.
- To strengthen and enhance the Defense relationship between the Maldives and Sri Lanka, to our mutual benefit, through working closely with the Sri Lankan Defense counterparts and other Defense Advisors of Diplomatic Missions present in Colombo.